Friday, April 27, 2007

Studio Friday - Wrath and Envy

Since I missed last week's Studio Friday topic, I thought I'd squeeze them both in this week. (No pictures this time, though. Sorry!)

Last week's topic was Wrath.
I will admit that I have a bit of a temper, and sometimes-- when I'm working with something tiny or fiddly-- I can get annoyed with the situation. And there may be the occasional pitching of a fit. ;o) When I feel the frustration growing, I try to give myself a break-- stop myself from getting to the point that I want to scream and punch walls. (g)


Top 5 Causes of Wrath in a Clayer's Studio ;o) --
  1. Burnt or scorched clay
  2. Bubbles in the Varathane (or your sealant of choice)
  3. Lint and hairs in the clay
  4. Fingerprints!! everywhere!!!
  5. Unplanned plaquing
This week's topic is Envy:
"What do you desire that you are lacking and someone else has? If you could have it would you really want it or is it just a notion? How come you want to have it? What can you do to still that desire so that there is no need to be envious of any thing or anybody?"

Hm... Some of these topics seem to repeat themselves, for me-- particularly lust, greed, and envy. They're more distinct in the "real life"/"whole life" manifestations of these sins, I think, but as they apply to art and the studio, they run together...

Yes, I sometimes envy the things I see that others have-- very lovely, well-organized studios, maybe... well-stocked cabinets and drawers of materials (though I really ought to be ashamed of that, considering how much "stuff" I've already accumulated!)... recognition, success... superior imagination or skill.

I try not to waste too much energy thinking about what I don't or can't have, but sometimes I catch myself doing it without even realizing it. I think it's only human nature to be intrigued by and to desire what we don't possess, but after a while, we should come to realize that it's not worth our precious time to be eaten up by envy. "The grass is always greener on the other side", and while I'm envying someone else's skill, there may be another person envying me. (And meanwhile, the person I'm sick with envy over is probably envying yet another person.)

So many of these sins seem to lead me back to the idea that we shouldn't waste our time and the materials, opportunities, and skills we do possess by pining after things that we either can't have or simply don't have yet. I hope that I can be happy with what I do have and make the most of it.

1 comment:

Jael said...

I TOTALLY get this. It's like it creeps up on you when you aren't looking (but ARE looking at other folks' work or stuff) and slams you in the gut.

When this happens, I have to step back and not look at anything but what I'm doing and chiiiiiillll ;)

Thanks for sharing!!