I stuck pretty close to the instructions on this project, though I think I may have left off one or two of the colors of clay suggested, and since I didn't have abalone leaf/foil and was too lazy to try my own idea of using inks and paints to make my own "faux abalone leaf", I used plain composition gold leaf. I also used the abalone loaf a bit differently that suggested in the book. (I made sheets of my slices and cut them with shape cutters, rather than tearing the slices into pieces.)
I was pleased with the results. (Though now I can think of some things I should've done differently. Well, I'll just write down some notes for next time.)
Here's a photo of what I made with some of my faux abalone charms:
I also took this opportunity to try out one of the magnetic clasps I bought on sale a long while ago. I haven't decided if I like the magnetic clasp or not. I like the idea of it, because so often, putting on a bracelet without assistance is an exercise in futility. I'm just not convinced yet that this particular clasp is strong enough. . . and (as expected) when the clasp is open, the magnets want to stick to the chain and jump rings. I'll wear this one a while to test out the strength of the clasp.
If you're interested, there are a couple more photos of the faux abalone at my Flickr account.