Monday, August 13, 2007

Kato Color Concentrates -- now available!

For those of you who may not have heard yet (such as myself, until I was catching up on e-mail this morning), Kato Color Concentrates (the new product I wrote about in this post) are now available for purchase.

Again, they're only available in selected Internet shops, as of yet. They're supposed to be at Polymer Clay Express, for instance, though I think you may have to call or write to order them. At least, I didn't see them in the online store, yet. However, I did find them at Prairie Craft Company, where the set of three colors (the only ones presently available) sells for $9.99. I see that they come in 1.5 ounce blocks. For reference, that's half the size of a block of regular Kato Polyclay. A little goes a long way, from all accounts, so it's not surprising that the blocks are a bit smaller.

So, now I'm looking forward to seeing what people will do with this product, now that it's out. :o) I don't think I'll buy any immediately, myself. I would like to play around with it-- see what it can do-- but I've done enough buying for a while, I think. . . Besides, it's been so brutally hot lately that I'd rather postpone clay purchases another couple of months. (Last time I had clay delivered, the mail-lady left it in the car-- with no note about it in the mailbox!! I was rather annoyed, but fortunately the clay seemed unharmed.)

. . . . . . . . .

If you frequent the same message boards and mailing lists I do (though I'm not a frequent "frequenter" these days (g)) , I'm sure you've already heard of the new polymer clay that Polyform's putting out-- Studio by Sculpey. If I understand correctly, it's coming out in connection with the Donna Dewberry instructional system... or whatever it is. It even has its own website (http://www.studiobysculpey.com/), but as of yet, there's nothing there.

I've read bits and pieces about this new brand, but frankly I'm just not terribly interested. I mean, it's great that there's going to be a new brand-- the more selection, the better-- but I. . . well, I just don't care much about this product. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I'm happy with the brands that are already out there... Maybe it's just this infernal heat and humidity; it sucks the enthusiasm right out of you, some days!

Anyway, a few things I think I remember reading about Studio by Sculpey:
  • It comes in a larger package than most polymer clays (...I think).
  • It's aimed more at making items for home décor-- not so much for caning, though some report that it is possible to cane with it.
  • It will come in 26 "toned down" colors (again, geared more toward home décor, where people are likely to choose "Lavender and Lace"-- one of the actual color names, I swear-- in favor of bold, brilliant purple or fuchsia.)
  • It is rather "marshmallowy" in texture, prior to curing, and easily conditioned.
  • It seems to be pretty sturdy after curing.
  • It doesn't require an armature (for certain things, at least), as it doesn't droop during firing, like most polymer clay does.

Ok, I guess it's kind of interesting... Just as long as Polyform doesn't get rid of my precious Premo in favor of this new stuff. ;o)

No comments: