Thursday, May 10, 2007

Running into a brick wall...

I feel like I've run into a brick wall on one of my latest commissions. I've tried just about everything I can think of, and it still isn't looking the way I want it to look! The first try turned out looking like a stone. (And it wasn't supposed to, obviously. (g))

What makes it even more frustrating is that I was sure this would be relatively easy-- or at least that the tricky part would come later in the process. But no, here I am back at square one for what feels like the umpteenth time.

I really don't want to admit defeat-- disappoint a customer and myself-- so I'm going to take a little break and then give it yet another try. But at some point, I may have no choice but to concede that things just aren't working out.

I think part of the problem is that this item is more or less life-size, and this is a departure for me, as I've just now become accustomed to working in miniature. Also, it might be that I'm giving up on some of my ideas too quickly. Sometimes it takes just one or two more steps for things to pull together. You can't really get a feeling for the complete effect if you're only a third of the way through the process... That said, I don't want to go all the way through several different methods, only to end up with a collection of unattractive polymer clay "stones". ;o)

Well, enough of the pep-talk... or maybe this has been more like moaning and groaning. ;o)

No comments: