Monday, February 05, 2007

My Etsy shop is up and running!

I finally have my Etsy shop up and running! Yay! :o)

Now let's see how long my enthusiasm lasts without a single sale. ;o) I'm trying to be realistic and remind myself that this kind of thing probably takes time. Even if I don't ever make a sale, I haven't invested much in the attempt. (It's currently 20 cents to least each item.)

Still, just an hour or two after listing my first item, I can already feel the anxiety creeping in. I'm already asking myself (as I have every time I've contemplated doing this kind of thing), "What if no-one likes anything I've made?" (Well, so what? It's certainly not the end of the world if I only make stuff for myself.) ...or... "What if someone buys something, but then they aren't happy with it because they think it looked better in the photos?" ...And so on. Really, the negativity never ends! ;o)

But all that self-doubting aside, I'm glad to have at least made an attempt at something like this. It's been in my mind for a while, now, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. It would be so exciting to make just a single sale, I think. :o)

Once I started listing things, I found that I enjoyed it-- well, apart from the trying to decide what price to put on things. I've listed four items so far, but I think I'll let that be it for today. Tomorrow I'll probably list a few more-- and a few more the next day-- and so on, until I've built up a little bit of an inventory. I don't want to list too many things-- because it's a waste of money if I don't sell anything, but also because having too mnay things in your store might mean that lots of your stuff never gets seen. But on the other hand, having too little isn't good, either. Anyway, it's advised that you try to list at least one new thing every day or two, to keep yourself more "in the eye of the public", so I'll try to do that for a while, to see how it goes. I'll also try to visit the Etsy forums and make myself visible there, too. ...And just generally give out the link to my new store wherever I can. (g)

Speaking of which-- I'd better go back and put a link at the beginning of this post... Done! :o)

Well, off to answer the call of the clothes dryer!

No comments: