Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New kid on the block...

As a "new kid on the block" over at Etsy, I'm still learning how things work-- or don't work, in this case.

Yesterday evening, I noticed that my "views" (that is, the number of times that someone had clicked to see each of my items closer, read about them, etc.) had fluctuated. One had gone from 11 views down to 1! I wasn't quite sure what was going on until I looked at the forums (where I have yet to jump in and get talking). Apparently, this is a new issue with v2. Twice since the switch to the new version, the view counter has gone whacko. Some numbers stay the same, others revert to 1 (or something like that), and evidently, once the numbers are gone, they don't come back. You have to start from scratch, all over again.

Now, this shouldn't be a big deal, really. The view numbers don't mean anything-- aren't worth anything-- unless someone should strangely decide not to buy from you just because they see that you're lacking in views. But it's still kind of annoying. I'd like to be able to see quickly and easily which of my items are getting more attention. It's also fun to say to yourself, "Wow, 10 people have already looked at my pendant!" Still, as someone else wrote, it's not the views that matter. You can have a thousand views, but the only one that's worth anything is the one that prompts someone to make a purchase.

So-- the moral of the story is-- I shouldn't get too attached to my ever-increasing (I hope) counter numbers, since they can disappear at any time. ;o)

No comments: