Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Translucent Layers

I've admired Kathleen Dustin's incredible layered translucents ever since I first saw photos of her work. I love the way she incorporates so many different techniques-- many of them involving translucent clay-- into one cohesive whole.

Today, while taking a look at Elise Winters' new website, Polymer Art Archive, I was interested to see a post from Kathleen herself. She writes about how her work evolved into the style that is today so easily recognizable as her own. Very interesting stuff-- and some great inspirational photos, too. I love the elegance of the bead by Lori Feiss, and I'm fascinated by the possibilities demonstrated in the layered clouds in the larger bead in this photo of Dustin's first experiments with layers of translucent clay.

I'm amazed all over again by the versatility of polymer clay. Such scope for the imagination!

No comments: