Friday, January 19, 2007

Studio Friday - Inspiring Dream Studio

This week's prompt from Studio Friday is as follows:

Inspiring Dream Studio

"We get to see these wonderful studios, - how about not showing our own, but choose among the great studios we know about now? Tell us a little about why you like this studio, what you would like to do if you could work there for a day as it was your own, and, - if it is so, - you have learned from this studio/ artist?"
~ mereteveian

Well, while I've seen photos of various people's studios (or humbler work spaces), I don't believe I've seen one that stuck in my memory so much that I'd say it is my "dream studio". But I have noticed some things I've liked and would enjoy having myself. I also have a few ideas of my own.

Things you'd find in my "dream studio"--
  • Lots of room-- Sure, you can produce beautiful works of art in a tiny room-- or just a corner of a room-- but so long as we're dreaming, let's dream big.
  • Plenty of work surfaces-- I'm the type to have multiple projects going at the same time, something that extra work surfaces would make so much easier. Plus I like to spread all my resources out in front of me so I can see what I have to choose from.
  • Storage, storage everywhere!-- I need things to have their own place where they "go"-- even if they're actually left out on the table 90% of the time. ;o) Abundant storage is wonderful when you decide to reorganize between projects.
  • Lighting-- Good lighting is a must. You have to be able to see what you're doing to tell if you're doing it well!
  • Comfortable seating-- to save your back (and behind, etc.) on days when you're sitting at the table for hours on end.
  • Entertainment-- There are times when I'll clay (or bead, or whatever) to the sound of silence, but most of the time, I want music, talk radio, the TV-- or something for background noise and to occupy my mind during the duller parts of the work.
  • Displays-- I doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I would like a place to display some of my work-- particularly pieces of jewelry. I'd also like a place to put up things that inspire me-- such as swatches of coordinated colors and jewelry sketches.
  • Materials-- A well-stocked studio is inspiring. I love seeing lots of materials-- clay in a rainbow of colors, bottles of ink and paint, a bountiful collection of beads, wonderful tools and books-- and some things that maybe I've never even seen before. There are so many possibilities in all those materials.
  • A nice view-- Not a necessity, but a pleasant view from the window(s) is a plus, too.

Now that our tables are about to be delivered-- today, between 1 and 2 p.m., if all goes as planned-- my work space will take a big step toward that "dream studio". I'll have lots more room to work-- one (larger) table for clay and another table for beading, scrapbooking, or anything else that's "dry" and not messy. There'll also be some extra storage, and once I get everything sorted and put away, I'm planning to put up some more things on the walls to make the room more my own and more to the purpose of a craft room.

I've been looking forward to trying it all out! It'll feel like a whole new place, I'm sure. :o)

No comments: