Friday, January 05, 2007

Studio Friday

I didn't participate in Studio Friday (see the link in the right-hand column), even though one of the first things I thought of when I started this blog was, "Hey, now I can join in at SF!" I looked at the topic and wasn't sure what to write. But now that other people's responses are popping up, I see that I could have written something, after all. So maybe I will, now.

Here's the topic:
This week's topic for Friday January 5th suggested by Susan: CHANGING NAMES...
"I've been reading Twyla Tharp's book The Creative Habit and here's an idea from her book - " the ancient masters of Japanese art were allowed to change their name once in their lifetime. They had to be very selective about the moment in their career when they did so. They would stick with their given name until they felt they had become the artist they aspired to; at that point, they were allowed to change their name. For the rest of their life, they would work under the new name at the height of their powers." So let's presume we are at the height of our careers - what name would you choose and why? "
~ Susan



I wouldn't change my name in my "real life". I know this because I have actually given it some thought before.

I've probably given more thought to names-- and my own name in particular-- than most people have, simply because my name is rather unusual-- for a girl, at least. Every now and then I hear about another female "Michael", but it's certainly not a common occurence, and growing up, I got a lot of "How do you pronounce that?" and "Is it Michelle?"... Oh, and "Your parents must've wanted a boy." I don't mind surprise or slight confusion, but the suggestion that my name indicates that I "should have" been a boy does irritate me a bit, I must admit.

When I was in kindergarten, somehow or other (I don't recall the details) the kids called me by my middle name (a more traditionally female name) for a week or so. It was ok, but after the novelty wore off, I was ready to go back to my real name. When I was older, my parents gave me the option to legally change my name, if I wanted to, but I don't think I ever seriously considered it. I am Michael, and I wouldn't want to change that, even if it does get me some double-takes.

The sort of name I might consider changing is my on-line name/identity. Lately, I've been known on-line as "peskimo" (derived from Daisy, my "pesky Eskie" American Eskimo Dog) and Mossy Owls (derived from a Swedish saying my husband taught me). I wouldn't want to change from MossyOwls at the present time, because I'm just now getting started toward someday selling some of my polymer clay creations on-line under that name. It doesn't make good business sense to change your on-line name too often. If you switch just when people begin to recognize your name, you'll confuse them!

So, no name change for me-- not for now, at least.

No comments: